Saturday, February 8, 2020

Gracie's Poppies...A Snapshot

Hello there inky friends!  Today I'm trying to spend the day catching up and getting crafty.  I've been a bit overwhelmed with school lately and have just wanted to come home and veggggg out.  This has left a big empty space in my crafty production and has made for a big old mess to remain on my crafty workspace.  I just don't feel like cleaning it up and it is just taking over...I hope this weekend I can get all "Clean Freaky" and get the job done.  UGHH...If not, it's going to take over.  LOL

Anyway, I worked on computer this week and fiddled around with a few brand spankin new digi sets from Graciellie Design and I printed some "good looks" for this weekend.  SOOOO.... I spent a few evenenings coloring this image and finally this morning, it was complete.  I don't usually color an image over several days, but I just couldn't get out of the funk this week.  I'm glad I took the time with it because I love how it turned out.  Had I not, it would have most likely been a disaster and would have ended up in the trash-ola!

So to create this card, I combined two images from two different sets that were released in January.  I love the themes and they combine so beautifully. 
Sweet Memories Mega Bundle

Beautiful Day
After overlaying the poppy (and the sentiment) onto the frame image, I printed it out and started coloring.  I used a combination of Copics, Colored pencils and Microfine pens to finish the image.  Since I don't pull or plan my color beforehand, I just grab as I go and finish when I feel it looks done.  This strategy inevitably ends up in about 30 markers used and several different darker colored pencils.  That's why I usually don't share the colors #'s I use...I don't really plan it and it would definitely be a longshot to duplicate. 


When I was working on the inside of the flower, I first started out by coloring it gray...and then I thought it probably wasn't gray but yellow...but I didn't want to research it on the internet.  Sooo...I just added some light yellow on it and then went to town on adding some fun black dots.  I've seen those black poppy seed like dots on those flowers...I thought.  HA HA.  That's how I roll. 
 After coloring the flower, I wanted to tie the flower into the background photo frame so I did a bit of stippling with Copics and then used colored pencils to add details, shadows and a little white pen for some highlights. 
After I was done coloring, I took on the chore of selecting the perfect background card base.  I pulled a lot of colors:  mustard, this foamy green, a more leafy green, a pink, a lavender and a peachy red.  Since I wanted to add a red ribbon to the piece, i selected this foamy green to be the backdrop.  It looked the best paired with the image and really pulled out the faint teal stipples in the image. 

So there you have it!  One project down this week, several more to go.  WOO WEE!

PS...  Hop over to Gracie's digi shop this weekend!  She's got a fabulous sale going on and you can pick up so many of her sets for a steal! 

2 comments: