Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Christmas in July with Joy Clair: Oh Come Let Use Adore Him

Hello there Joy Clair Friends!  Today I'm sharing three cards I created for the Joy Clair Christmas in July celebration!  I'm thrilled to add this card to my Christmas card stash and I'm happy to say I am now three cards closer to my yearly goal!  WOO HOO!  Joy Clair is offering a great prize at the end of this event, so make sure to check out the Design Team posts all week!  
This card features two stamp sets:  Christmas Nativity and Out of this World.  To start off the project, I stamped the star/dot image onto a piece of white cardstock.  After covering most of the page, I used Leisure Arts Watercolor pencils to color the background.  
To push the color into the background and add some layering effect, I brushed Winter White acrylic paint (in a whitewash fashion) over the whole paper from the base (white part of the cardstock) upwards.  I was careful not to apply too much as I wanted the starry background to show up on the page.  
Next, I mounted this panel onto light lavender cardstock and then mounted it onto a light blue card base using foam squares to give it dimension.  
Next, I diecut an oval out of white cardstock and stamped the sentiment using black ink and my Misti.  I also took this time to stamp the King, cut him out and watercolor him so I could apply him to my card.  I punched a hole on the top of the sentiment and attached a ribbon.  This sentiment was mounted onto the card using foam squares, and the King was applied over that.  The card was complete!  
I hope this project inspires you to get inky and helps you get one step closer to your Christmas Card goals!  

If you're interested in learning how I created a specific card pictured below, make sure to click on the link to direct you there. 

12 comments:

  1. AWESOME CARD! You just showed me a really cool technique in this tutorial! Using white acrylic paint and just brushing a very light layer over the image that you had already colored! That is soooo cool! You are just so very talented! Thank you so much for such amazing tutorials! I really enjoyed all 3 of them very much!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! Thank you so much for stopping by! I enjoy playing with paper and mixed media and it's fun when my projects can be shared. :)

      Delete
  2. Loving this card! Especially how you created that starry background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I love using the paint to lighten up the background! :)

      Delete
  3. Love that starry background! Beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Denise! I just love how the background it turned out! Good luck in the prize draw!

      Delete
  4. The background is just enough to allow the image to stand out on this lovely card. Thanks for sharing the acrylic paint technique. I'll have to check out that brand as my daughter needs some white acrylic paint for her art class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Andre! The paint is really cheap brand from Michaels. It works perfectly for this watered-down technique! Good luck in the prize draw!

      Delete
  5. So pretty. I like the starry background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue! I’m glad I thought to use that set! The little stars work great for a night background!

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful card! I love the color combo and the background is gorgeous. Fantastic idea to use gesso to soften the background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dana. I think this is my favorite card of the three. I just love how it turned out!

      Delete