Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Hop, Hop, Hop...

Surprise!  Yes, I'm alive...and well.  I can't believe it's been so long posting to my blog.  I've been busy with other things, I guess.  I've enjoyed a new venture into cookie decorating and have also jumped back into quilting.  As many of my friends know, I can't seem to do all things at once- and tend to focus completely on one "project" or adventure at a time.  Anyway, I decided to head into my stamping room to give it some much needed love- and start working on some cards for friends, family and...my students.  Then, it came to me!  The VISION...

Thanks for stopping by!  Please join me and my fellow Heartfelt Creations DT Alumni for this monthly hop.  We hope you enjoy our creations and find they inspire you to get stamping and creating! Please make sure to make a comment on each blog post so you can qualify for the gift certificate drawing.  The winner will be announced on Saturday-after the hop closes on Friday, August 29, midnight EST.  Good Luck!

Now on to my project!

I decided to combine my love of stamping and my love of fiber arts in creating my project this month.  It's been a time consuming project as it is being freehand quilted and hand beaded.  It's not completely done either because I can't seem to make up my mind how I want to finish it.  I'm thinking either a framed piece OR a little pillow...We'll see.  So today, I'm going to show you my process of working on this piece.  It was totally unplanned and just came from a vision...That's how I prefer to work.

For the first step, I selected some white cotton fabric (prewashed) and cut it approximately 12x12. I then pulled out my most favorite posies stamps.  LOVE THEM!  I inked up the stamps using India Ink and began to color the images with Memento inks and a wet paint brush.
Spraying some Glimmer Mist on the fabric helped to create a more vintage look as well as added some shine.  Drying only took a minute or two in front of the fan.

After painting the flowers, I added a bit of blue to create some shading as well as give the fabric more depth and texture.

After that, I added some Stickles because I LOVE sparkle.  Quite interestingly enough, the Stickles added two effects, sparkle, and in some areas- it acted as a bleach and lifted the Glimmer Mist color to create a marble-like effect.
Next it was on to the first stage of embellishing...adding seed beads and sequins.  A LOT of them. Yes, a tedious and time consuming process, but well worth it in the end.
Next, I was on to hand stitching designs with some colored thread and DMC floss.  I also added seed beads and sequins here and there.  After that, I added some batting to the back of the fabric, sewed one edge of the block to the batting (to decrease the likelihood of puckering fabric when stitching) and began the long process of hand quilting the square with some iridescent/silvery variegated thread.
Lotsa beads, lotsa stitches...My eyes are crossed and my fingers ar feeling stiff!  HA HA
I decided that I also needed to stitch the sentiment since I already had stitched the flowers so I used the same black thread.
Swirls and loops help keep this piece organic and freeform...so there was no need to worry about stitching crooked lines!  Love that!
So there you have it!  The process thus far.  I believe it'll take at least another day to complete the quilting and then I hope to have decided how to finish it off.  Please stop back in a few days to see the finished piece!

HC items Used:  
HCPC 3303 Posy Patch Flowers
HCD 701 Posy Patch Dies
HCPC 3377 Sympathy Sentiment PreCut Set 

Other items used:
White cotton fabric
Memento Ink:  Bahama Blue, Danube Blue, Ladybug Red, Grape Jelly, Rhubarb Stalk
India Ink: Black (Stewart Superior)
Dreamsicle Glimmer Mist (Tattered Angels)
Black, Orange thread
Metallic iridescent variegated thread
DMC floss (Pink, blue)

Embellished with:
Crystal Stickles
Iridescent sequins
Iridescent and black seed beads

Here's the blog order:  


I will be back around noon on Sat. August 30th to announce the winner of this hop.  The winner will receive a $25 gift certificate to shop at Heartfelt Creations -Good luck to all!!! 

31 comments:

  1. What an ambitious project you are working on. I have to say, I can't wait to see the finished project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful quilt block design. I think it is just awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!! I cannot wait to see the finished piece! Beautiful in progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a fabulous project! What a keepsake this will be!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so creative! love how you used the stamps for this project!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with Glenda - I want to see the finished project too -- so far it looks amazing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing! I love all that beautiful stitching, and I can't wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an intricate and whimsical project - takes so much work and creativity. Well done - I'll bet it will be a master piece when you are finished!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow...definitely a labor of love! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So very creative. Love the colors and quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am spellbound by this amazing and scrumptious creation! I cannot wait to see the finished piece!! My fingers ache for you! See you in a few days and TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is an awesome piece of work!!!! Love it!! Would love to see the end result.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wasn't expecting to see a fabric piece on this hop but this is sure pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great way to use stamps, and inks! Lots of work, but such a joy for beautiful finished project. Will have to come back and see it done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow this is the most beautiful piece I've seen. Love it.

    Love from Holland,

    Erna

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is beautiful. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so beautiful and I can't wait to see the finished piece. You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  18. hi this is absolutely gorjuss, lots of work, a labour of love indeed. x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Totally awesome, fantastic, etc. Love your colors and the time spent on this is totally priceless.

    Sue
    http://suek86401.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh My! That 's a lot of work. Great blog posting too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great project!
    Marjorie from TX
    m.brundagetx at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are amazing! This project is so involved and extremely pretty. I love your vision.

    ReplyDelete
  23. WOW! Thank you for showing this. I never would of thought of stamping on fabric and coloring it. Awesome Project!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is stunning, So elegant and pretty! what a great idea. I never thought to use my stamps on cloth.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful project! Love the coloring! The beading detail is incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  26. wow, I love it, I would have never though a quilt block, what a wonderful idea. So beautiful Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete